Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Man of Love


On Friday, I learned some upsetting news. A great and loving family member passed from this world and entered his heavenly home.  My Great-Uncle Dr. Dalton Peter Brooks.

To know my family, you would know that the normal distance of a “great” Uncle is not the same in my family. We are just “family”.  He was an Uncle who always greeted you with a hug and a smile and cared about you.

My Uncle created a humble legacy but the legacy I want to focus on is his legacy of love for his family and God. My heart goes out to his wife, my Aunt. As well as his children and his Grandchildren. Each one of these members had a very close relationship with their Husband, Father, and Grandfather that no one else can imagine.

My Aunt Doris and My Uncle Dalton were married for 51 years and created their own legacy with one another. They created a family and watched as each in turn created their own families. During this lifetime of Love my Uncle & Aunt also had (has because a relationship with God never ends) a close relationship with God. As a Pastor in addition to many other titles, my Uncle grew close to God. One of the speakers at his home going celebration described him as a friend of God.

As I prepared to go home for the services, a knock came. I answered the door and recognized two smiling faces. Two ladies from the local Jehovah’s witness community who have visited me before. I politely spoke to them and took their literature. I placed it on my kitchen table and continued to get ready.

When I returned home I decided to flip through the literature that was left by the ladies.  This literatures’ focus was on a well-known friend of God, Abraham. The qualities of Abraham are shown to us through the scriptures.

Abraham was a man of Faith: Abraham demonstrated that he believed God’s Promises. Hebrews 11:8,9,17-19
Abraham was a man of Courage: Abraham was willing to go against the crowd. Genesis 14:21,22
Abraham was a man of Humility: Abraham gladly served others. Genesis 18:1-8, 1 Peter 5:5
Abraham was a man of Love: Abraham showed that he loved his family. Genesis 18:19


Faith, Courage, Humility, and Love
These same characteristics were used in reflections of my Uncle Dalton. A friend of God, who courageously fought the good fight, stood for the word of God, gladly served others, and loved his God & family.

To live a life that you can be seen by others as a friend of God’s, to have a Christ like heart, and most rewardingly be able to enter the Kingdom’s gate is a life all Christian’s strive toward.

These past days have been bittersweet. Bitter for the aches of the loved ones left behind, bitter for the memories of past, and bitter for questions unknown. But Sweet for knowing that he is where he worked to be, in the presence of the Lord and mighty father God.

Men and Women of Faith, Courage, Humility, and Love are among us in this day and time. Examples of obedience are here. Uncle Dalton is a friend of God, and he wanted to be an example to others to also be a friend of God.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.  Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.


Shalasha

No comments:

Post a Comment